Photoshop 911
Design Center  |  DT&G Magazine  |  DT&G Forums  |  Register (Required)  |  Photoshop Tips & Tricks  |  Design Bookshelf  

Beginning in 1990, with the first version of Adobe Photoshop, DTG has published a monthly section called "Photoshop Tips & Tricks" -- Photoshop 911 became the users forum for asking specific Photoshop questions. Browse at your leisure, but to post, you must be registered.

Go Back   DTG Forums > Photoshop 911 > Emergency Room

#1   IP: 72.174.170.69
Old 08-29-2008, 03:58 PM

Default Photoshop won't let me use certain filters...

Righto
First thing I did was import a file from Lightroom 2.0 to Photoshop.

Then I had this layer that had a cutout of a person, and it's layer mask.

I want to put the layer through a filter, so I duplicate it and apply the layer mask.

The Filter options are very limited... The only options are: Blur, Distort, Noise, Render, Sharpen, Stylize, Video, and Other -- and only certain ones in those menus are selectable.

I'm trying to do a Distort > Diffuse Glow, but it's not applicable.

I applied the layer mask, I couldn't select "Rasterize Layer" and I tried changing it into a Smart Object.
I'm still in RGB mode, and the layer is not locked.
I tried copying it to a new file, and it does the same thing -- little to no filters.
And nothin'.
The screenshot is attached.

INFO:
Adobe Photoshop CS3 v.10
Lightroom 2.0
Windows vista

If there's anything else, let me know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no-filters.jpg (100.6 KB, 1 views)
  #2   IP: 72.174.170.69
Old 08-30-2008, 01:21 AM

Hey all,
I think the problem was when I first imported it from Lightroom as 16 bit.

Under "Image > Mode" under the color modes, there's 8-, 16-, and 32-bits / Channel options.
I imported it as 16-bit, and I think this is the problem, mainly because when I changed it to 8-bit, or made any new documents, their default was 8-bit, and the filters worked.

Why Adobe made most their filters work in 8-bit, is beyond me.
I thought that the higher the number, the better the quality.
I really have no idea...

Any insight on 8-, 16-, or 32-bits/channel files; or on why most the filters don't work with anything but 8-bit, would be great!

But in recap, if you have the same problem as this, I fixed it by switching from 16-bit to 8-bits / Channel in "Image > Mode > 8 Bits / Channel"

Thanks for all who still checked it out, and if anyone has any insight on this, that would be great!

Thanks,

a_h0b0
  #3   IP: 99.174.169.165
Old 08-31-2008, 02:25 PM

I've run into that on accident. Took a while to figure out, but solved everything! Yeah- I pretty much always work in 8-bit, and have never been dissapointed in quality.
  #4   IP: 76.122.207.196
Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 PM

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd respond just in case someone else had this problem. Another reason some filters won't work is if you are in CMYK. Convert to RGB and everthing works fine. Be sure you save your work before you do this because it can flatten your layers.