Photoshop 911
Design Center  |  DT&G Magazine  |  DT&G Forums  |  Register (Required)  |  Photoshop Tips & Tricks  |  Design Bookshelf  

Beginning in 1990, with the first version of Adobe Photoshop, DTG has published a monthly section called "Photoshop Tips & Tricks" -- Photoshop 911 became the users forum for asking specific Photoshop questions. Browse at your leisure, but to post, you must be registered.

Go Back   DTG Forums > Photoshop 911 > Emergency Room

#1   IP: 97.122.174.234
Old 07-29-2009, 08:38 PM

Cool Sizing photo for yearbook

I took some senior photos for a friend and she needs one sized for the year book. The photo has to be a specific size and the her head can't be any larger than a prescribed size. Can anyone advise me on the easiest way to do this. I can crop the photo to the desired size but can reliably measure the head.
Thanks so much!
I have Photoshop CS3

volksie68
  #2   IP: 70.130.161.203
Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 AM

Hi Volksie,

You should be able to use the "Ruler Tool" (under the Eyedropper Tool). It calculates the distance between any two points in the workspace. When you measure from one point to another, a non-printing line is drawn. You can then read the length of that line in the options bar (also the Info palette).

To remove the line, just drag it out of the image, or click Clear in the tool options bar.

Keep in mind that the document's print size will change anytime you change the "Resolution" setting under Image > Image Size when the "Resample Image" box is not checked. So get your print resolution set the way you want it before making the measurement.

Hope this helps.
  #3   IP: 71.63.38.92
Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Default Sizing photos for specific requirements

1) Start a NEW Photoshop File
... in the New File dialog, set the size of the file to the dimensions prescribed by the yearbook company.
... set the resolution of the file to the resolution prescribed by the yearbook company

2) Drag your photo into that file.

3) Now, zoom out until you can see the scaling handles on the imported file's new layer ... hold the SHIFT key and now drag a corner handle in until you've sized the image correctly for the file window.

4) FLATTEN and SAVE the file in the format prescribed by the yearbook company.

GOTCHA: if the image is not big enough to FILL the new file, then you're in trouble -- the image is not high enough resolution for the project. You can enlarge 5% but NO MORE THAN 10% and retain reasonable resolution.

If this happens you'll need one of the enlarging plug-ins that enlarge photos while retaining their clarity.

See: ENLARGING IMAGES FOR PRINT
and: Blow-up that JPG

#4   IP: 97.122.174.234
Old 07-31-2009, 07:24 AM

Thanks so much for the reply! I knew there would be a tool for measurement somewhere! I will give it a try.
  #5   IP: 97.122.174.234
Old 07-31-2009, 07:26 AM

Thank you so much for the help!. I will give it a try. I think the pictures will have high enough resolution so they should fit the frame well.
  #6   IP: 97.122.174.234
Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 PM

Hmmm, I tried this and my picture is to big. When I drag my original photo to my new file that is sized properly I get only a portion of my photo. Like half the face only! When I try to zoom out It does not zoom the original picture it zooms out the new file with the same enlarged portion of my original photo. That was hard to explain, I hope you understand what I am trying to convey. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
  #7   IP: 70.130.161.203
Old 08-03-2009, 10:25 AM

Volksie, to get those scaling handles, after you drag your photo into your new file go to Edit > Free Transform. Or use the keyboard shortcut... Ctrl + T (Cmd + T on a Mac). Make sure you hold the shift key down when you drag a corner handle; that maintains the proportions of the original image.
  #8   IP: 71.63.38.92
Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 PM

Arrow CORRECT ... drag to scale

Artd is correct.

Here's a sample "new file" to a specific yearbook size:

http://www.dtg-forums.com/forum/atta...1&d=1249327048

Here, we've dragged the photo into the correctly sized file. If you set up the window so you can see lots of "art board" space (the gray area) you'll see the handles on the new image. Just click on and Shift/Drag the image until it's fitting the window correctly

http://www.dtg-forums.com/forum/atta...1&d=1249327119

You may have to move it around in the window to re-position it once scaling begins. When you flatten the file, all excess will be trimmed away.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scale_photo.jpg (46.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: png yearbook_size.png (8.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Tips : 08-03-2009 at 02:23 PM.
  #9   IP: 97.122.174.234
Old 08-03-2009, 06:35 PM

That's it! Thank you so much, that would have taken me hours to figure out on my own. I really appreciate it.
  #10   IP: 70.130.161.203
Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 AM

Volksie,
Actually, what admin said should have worked for you. I just figured maybe you weren't seeing those scaling handles, so I suggested going to Free Transform. Here's the deal...with the Move Tool active, you should see a box in the options bar called "Show Transform Controls". If you were unable to see any scaling handles after dragging your photo into your new file, you probably did not have that box checked. In any case, I'm glad you have things working for you now :-) Best of luck with your project.