Design Café
Design Center  |  DT&G Magazine  |  DT&G Forums  |  Register (Required)  |  Photoshop Tips & Tricks  |  Design Bookshelf  

Since moving to the web in 1994, DT&G has maintained an email listserv called "The Design Cafe" as a means for DTG readers to discuss all facets of the design, graphic arts and communication arts fields. Grab a cup and enjoy. Browse at your leisure, but to post, you must be registered.

Go Back   DTG Forums > The Design Café > Let's Talk

#1   IP: 76.119.231.182
Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Question Networking

Ok so basically I've been designing for 7 years now, I went to school for TV/Film production and somehow I found myself dabbling in graphic design and I must say that its something that I love doing and over these year it has definitely become my passion.

I've never had any formal training, just been training myself all these years with really no other close friends/ associates to feed off of or share ideas, like/dislikes... just me, myself and I.

I feel I could stand to learn lots more as well as share some of my wisdom, and I would love the chance to be in a crowd of ppl with like minds... however the problem is I cant seem to find any good networking venues or opportunities to connect with people in my area. I live in Michigan so if any of you guys have any advice or info that would help it would be greatly appreciated.
  #2   IP: 72.66.242.86
Old 10-07-2010, 05:31 AM

Plan your next vacation around any of the conventions, seminars, etc. appearing around the country. I know that the Geek Queen and David Blatner are in Chicago in a couple of weeks ... and there are others.

Also check around for user groups. User groups are EXCELLENT opportunities to mix and mingle.

Also try the local Chamber of Commerce -- or those or surrounding areas. They all have events, mixers, and 'social' events where you might find networking opportunities.

:-)
  #3   IP: 76.119.231.182
Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tips
Plan your next vacation around any of the conventions, seminars, etc. appearing around the country. I know that the Geek Queen and David Blatner are in Chicago in a couple of weeks ... and there are others.

Also check around for user groups. User groups are EXCELLENT opportunities to mix and mingle.

Also try the local Chamber of Commerce -- or those or surrounding areas. They all have events, mixers, and 'social' events where you might find networking opportunities.

:-)

Thank you so much for that info =0) I will definitely check it out.
  #4   IP: 63.125.104.162
Old 11-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Consider joining an association or club...there are plenty of them and often the national ones have local chapters. As the previous poster stated, conventions are also a great way to network.
  #5   IP: 122.169.78.214
Old 05-10-2012, 02:47 AM

Networking is the technique to connect the two or more computer with each other to share data. It is the good way to sharing you data with any one.