Photoshop 911
Design Center  |  DT&G Magazine  |  DT&G Forums  |  Register (Required)  |  Photoshop Tips & Tricks  |  Design Bookshelf  

Beginning in 1990, with the first version of Adobe Photoshop, DTG has published a monthly section called "Photoshop Tips & Tricks" -- Photoshop 911 became the users forum for asking specific Photoshop questions. Browse at your leisure, but to post, you must be registered.

Go Back   DTG Forums > Photoshop 911 > Color Issues

#1   IP: 67.182.112.80
Old 06-08-2007, 07:35 PM

Default erase a specific color?

My drawing that I am working on has a thin outline of color in some places that stand out like a sore thumb against a solid black background. How to I erase a specific color. Can I some how select a color to erase and then pass over the image only erasing that color????

Thanks.
  #2   IP: 71.63.46.117
Old 06-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Default Defringe...

Is that a remnant of some background area?
Sliver of color still at the edge of the image?

Use the "Defringe" function in the Filters section.
It eliminates any fringe of outlaw pixels.

Otherwise, you didn't mention version or platform,
and so little about the 'color' that's the best answer
we could offer at this time.

Alternate: sometimes it's better to CHANGE outlaw colors than erase them. Use "Select by Color" under the Select menu, and then once selected -- Control/J (or Command/J) to raise those colors to a new layer. Now try re-coloring them to be compatible with the existing image.

Remember in the "Select by Color" dialog, you can add-to the selection, or delete-from the selection by changing the Eyedroppers in use. That way you can fine-tune your selection.

#3   IP: 85.116.121.213
Old 06-09-2007, 11:33 AM

coachable,
To erase all the pixels of a specific color just click on it with the Magic Eraser Tool.

To erase only a portion of continuously colored area:
- activate the Background Eraser Tool
- in the Options bar choose "Once" sampling mode
- click on the color that should be erased and drag (without releasing the mouse button)
(See flash movie on the Background Eraser)
  #4   IP: 67.182.112.80
Old 06-09-2007, 02:53 PM

Sorry for the lack of details. Yes it is a color left over after extracting the background. I will try both methods to remove the color...

I also posted another thread about a photo to pencil drawing dilemma... That has been a real disappointment. I have followed two tuts that I found here at DTG and neither one produced the desired results...

Is there anyone on the board that can look at an example of the result I am trying to achieve and tell me how to get there???

I would really, really, appreciate it?

Below are some examples of the result I am trying to achieve by converting a photo to a pencil drawing... (I am using a mouse, I have PS 7.0 *but I have actually downloaded the PS CS3 trial). I am using a digital photo and trying to convert it to a pencil drawing...

Edited***

Last edited by coachable : 06-09-2007 at 04:30 PM.
  #5   IP: 72.66.234.68
Old 06-09-2007, 04:22 PM

Exclamation WOW... Nope... no way

Surely you're kidding?

No wonder the Photoshop tutorials didn't achieve that results. THEY ARE pencil drawings.

You need to post a "before" and "after" of YOUR image including the problem.
Let's try to help you fix your problem

I dare say you'll NEVER achieve that with Photoshop. The DTG tutorial does indeed work -- I've used it. However it will NOT create drawing s like these samples from photos -- the whole structure is different.

Nope, if you want those results, you're going to have to get some sheets of Bainbridge Board, and sharpen your pencils.

#6   IP: 67.182.112.80
Old 06-09-2007, 04:50 PM

LOL. OK let's focus on one that is similar to the one I am working on, and go from there...

Here is my before

Here is my after

Any way to simulate pencil strokes or only darken/lighten certain areas of the image???
  #7   IP: 74.134.135.71
Old 06-11-2007, 11:08 AM

I played around real quick and got this result.

It only took a couple minutes but it would be more complicated trying to explain what I did. If this is a look you are going for let me know and I will try explaining....it involves using channels and levels.
  #8   IP: 67.182.112.80
Old 06-11-2007, 04:27 PM

Thanks Goose!

Did you create a new layer with the image and then edit that?
  #9   IP: 74.134.135.71
Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 AM

Actually I copies the image from the RGB channel and pasted it into a new channel.Then duplicated the channel twice so I had a total of three channels with the same image. In the first channel I adjusted levels until only the areas that were shadows showed up in white (required an invert). Then I erased the color image from the main RGB channel (so I had a white canvas). I loaded the selection of the first channel and filled the white canvas with a medium gray. The second channel I tried to isolate the midtones so I could load the channel and fill with a medium grey....etc. This may make no sense at all especially if you don't use channels but the basic idea is I erased the original image and replaced it with fills of different shades of gray. Like it said it took only a couple of minutes but trying to explain it is taking longer